Monday, December 10, 2012

Wow

Last night I saw The Amazing Race history: a team that hadn't won any legs of the race, a team that was one of the last finishers on almost every leg (I think every one except the last one) -- won the game.

The team won because when it was presented with opportunities, it took them. And the team had a lucky break at one point in the race when the two team members both seemed ready to give up. That break recharged them and helped them refocus on their end goal.

It's a good lesson, and one that I've seen played out in my own life. Professionally, I've had things happen because I've been in the right place at the right time, and have been ready to take advantage of the opportunities.

Of course, I think it's easier for people (me included) to remember the times when things didn't work out more easily than the times when they did. It's easy to get discouraged and want to quit early. However, as last night's TAR demonstrated, if you quit early, you could give up some really handsome rewards.

Today I'm grateful that I was able to see the entire finale of TAR tonight, that it wasn't delayed by a football game and finished at an ungodly hour because I really appreciated that reminder to take advantage of the opportunities that I'm given and to not give up until the end of the race (metaphorically speaking).

No comments: