Friday, December 7, 2012

Meditation Techniques

For a while, I have noticed that my ability to focus has diminished. It is now at a distractingly low level.

I have trouble not thinking about things that bother or stress me and I have trouble pushing those things out of my mind when I have no productive resolution to them. That is to say, I don't mind focusing on a problem when I'm thinking of SOLUTIONS, but I don't want to focus on a problem only to remind myself of how much it is stressing me out.

I've been working with a coach on centering, but, to be honest, his technique of sitting, breathing and developing awareness of my body starting with my feet and working up takes too long.

I caught some special programming on PBS during a pledge drive that talked about "walking meditation." The idea is that you walk and just focus on your feet hitting the ground. This technique sounds like it could work for me. When I am stressed, I need to be active. Sitting around, right now, simply gives me more time to be agitated. I do enjoy yoga, but, at times, I end up too distracted to have a mindful practice.

So, I'm going to give walking meditation a go and use it to help me bring back my focus.

At this point, I'm not interested in exploring the root cause of WHY my focus has diminished. I can't easily pinpoint a reason, but I can pinpoint a solution. If the root cause is still something in my life, I have no doubt that, once I regain focus, it will attempt to distract me again. If that happens, I'll be more aware of the problem and better able, at that point, to remove or reduce the cause in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Focusing on your feet hitting the ground is fine as long as you don't walk into a fountain or open manhole like those idiot texters.