Saturday, December 22, 2012

It's not the end of the world

I didn't plan on taking almost a week off of my blog. I was waylaid with some sickness that has been going around. It's amazing how much energy your body uses to produce mucus.

I want to do a quick entry on one of the things that I've been most thankful for over the past six months.

It seems that whenever I hit a very dark point over these last six months, I would end up babysitting my niece and she would read me Corduroy, the story of a bear who is loved by a little girl and, even though he's not perfect, is brought home from the department store because she loves him. Something about the combination of the earnestness with which my niece would "read" the book (she's too young to actually read, but has the whole story memorized) and the story itself always made me feel better about whatever emotional place I was at when she decided to read to me.

Corduroy time is going to be one of my enduring memories.

No comments: