Monday, January 7, 2013

The meaning in life

One of the books I read last year was Harold Kushner's When All You've Ever Wanted Isn't Enough.

I find that Rabbi Kushner is a good resource for me when I'm going through major life events.

One of my takeaways from this book was: A life of meaning is achieved not by a few great, immortal deeds, but by a lot of little ones.

Sometimes I get focused on having one big splash -- being the next Steve Jobs, inventing a vaccine, etc. -- and that just frustrates me. Heck, I would posit that even Steve Jobs didn't think he was going to be "Steve Jobs." By focusing on one HUGE thing, which, to be honest, I'm not even working toward at the moment (to my knowledge), I simply set myself up for failure that I'm not good enough.

By looking at the little things that I do each day, I stay focused on the things that matter to me (which, right now, is not national or international fame). I may never invent the next iPod, but I have put together a jingle for my nephew that makes him smile when I sing it to him after naps. I share my story of recovery with friends who are starting on their journey to give them an addictive personality's "it gets better" goal. I serve as a positive role model for students. I work on staying positive about my own journey each day, and most days (at least this year), I'm succeeding.

It's important for me to remember that the little things I do make a positive difference in people's lives and help them grow to be better people, just as I'm trying to grow to be a better person.

Today, I'm grateful for my tenacity, which has been something I've really had to rely on lately.

No comments: